There’s a good chance your partner may have a list of things that you could do to improve the way you treat them or the way you communicate.
While you may not want to hear from your partner a list of ways you could be a better boyfriend, you may be able to recognise certain qualities in yourself that make you a great partner and other qualities that may be hard to handle, annoying, or even breakup-worthy.
Ready to discover the truth?
• The jealous guy: While it can be natural to feel jealous every once in a while, the jealous boyfriend is obsessively evaluating every scenario and questioning his partner’s every move.
You may be glued to your phone ensuring you’re in constant communication with your girlfriend and find yourself freaking out when they don’t text you back quickly enough.
If you constantly feel threatened by your partner’s friends and exes it may be time to take a step back to evaluate why you’re constantly feeling jealous.
Get to the root of the problem, and then take steps to rein yourself in a bit. No one finds jealousy sexy, and you really don’t want to be known as that crazy, jealous boyfriend.
• The nice guy: Also known as the bore or the clinger, the nice guy comes across as the perfect, doting boyfriend. You surprise your partner with flowers, always let her pick the movie, and spend time with her friends and family.
While the nice guy may truly be a nice guy, this sort of boyfriend tends to cling on to relationships to the extent that they lose their own life, passions, and personality to become someone their partner likes.
This sort of boyfriend can get boring fast and is typically thought to have no backbone or personality.
While it’s great to be a nice guy, make sure you don’t get into a relationship where you take on the role of a pushover. Take time for yourself, and spend time with your friends.
Not only will it make your partner respect you, but you’ll feel better about your self too.
• The mooch: This boyfriend-type is looking to live the good life on someone else’s dime. If this is you, you may tend to be lazy and unmotivated, constantly searching for a way to get the most out of life for less.
Do you constantly forget your wallet or forget to pay back debts? Rather than splitting the bill, you’ll let your partner pick it up time and time again.
You may be the most loyal, kindest guy out there, but if you’re constantly taking advantage of those around you, your relationships won’t last long.
• The jerk: This boyfriend may have moments of sweetness, but overall he’s thought of as a jerk. Your partner’s friends may hate you, and your mean comments may lead to giant fights, but you just don’t care.
If you find yourself stiffing the waitress, insulting those around you, or making your partner cry regularly, you may have jerk boyfriend tendencies.
The jerk typically tries to control his partner by putting them down, being manipulative, or just yelling until he gets his way. It’s time to stop being a jerk.
Intentionally make an effort to put your partner and those around you first, and you’ll notice a giant difference in the way you treat others.
• The flirt: You may mean it harmlessly, but the flirt is one guy who’s relationships won’t last long.
If you compulsively feel the need to flirt with your waitress, text multiple people at once, and hit the bars in search of attention, you may be the flirt.
While your actions may stem from insecurities and feelings of not being enough for your partner, your behaviour is destructive to those you love.
No matter how confident or self-assured your partner is, no one likes feeling like their boyfriend is constantly on the hunt for attention.
Rein in your desire for attention, and seek love and affection from your partner instead.