Nigeria, amid the economic turbulence also witnessed death of notable personalities in all spheres. Their deaths came as a rude shock as this time in the history of the nation. Here is a list of some of them.
3. Heinrietta Kosoko – The wife of Jide Kosoko, who is also a Nollywood actress, Henrietta Kosoko passed on at the age of 53. She was said to have slumped and was rushed to the hospital were she died. She came into the limelight in 1995 after starring in movie titled, ‘Omolade’ as well as an English one named ‘Onome’. She was a fantastic Yoruba and English actress of many years. But Henrietta Kosoko, a very robust actress, married to a popular actor and one time president of the Association of Nigeria Theatre-Arts Practitioners (ANTP), an umbrella body of all Yoruba thespians in the country, Prince Jide Kosoko, cut her niche immediately after featuring in that popular Yoruba movie, Omolade, and Onome
4. Amodu Shuaibu – The technical director of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF), and former coach of the Super Eagles, Shuaibu Amodu, died June 10, 2016.
Mr. Amodu, a four-time coach of the national team, passed on Friday night shortly after complaining of chest pain. He was 58. Mr. Amodu was appointed technical director of the Eagles in April 2016. His death came as the nation is still reeling from the loss of Stephen Keshi, the country’s football legend, who died three days before his death, aged 54.
5. Col. Muhammed Abu Ali, & Other Slain Soldiers – Till date, Nigeria has been in mourning since November 4 when news broke that Muhammad Abu-Ali, a lieutenant colonel, and Nigerian Army’s most efficient fighter died in battle alongside five soldiers during an exchange of battle with the terrorist Boko Haram. Lt. Col. Muhammad Abu Ali, a recipient of the Chief of Army Staff award for exceptional bravery and excellence led the army units that recovered Gamboru-Ngala, Baga and several communities from the terrorists.
6. Buhari’s Special Assistant, Ayodele Adu: The senior special assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on economic matters, Ayodele Adu, died on Friday, August 12, 2016. Minister of Solid Minerals described Adu, an Ekiti man as economic and financial expert as a vibrant young man, a thorough bred professional and a decent progressive politician, who was ever willing and ready to deploy his talents and expertise for the progress of his fatherland.
7. Buhari’s Minister, James Ocholi: Nigeria’s Minister of State for Labour and Productivity, James Ocholi, died in a road accident along the Kaduna-Abuja highway. Mr. Ocholi, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria from Kogi state, and his son died on the spot of the accident.
8. Ogun Lawmaker, Olusola Adeboye: A former Ogun state House of Assembly member, Olusola Adeboye Pelumi died at the age of 60. Olusola, who represented Remo North state constituency in the House between 2003-2011 died at the Lagos state University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Idi Araba, after a brief illness. Olusola, a shipping magnate before venturing into politics, was elected in 2003 to represent the Remo North state constituency under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). He was re-elected in 2007 and became member of the popular G-15, who stood against the then governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel’s move to obtain N10b loan in 2010.
9. Delta Lawmaker, Omawunmi Udoh – The member representing Warri South Constituency 1, Mrs Omawumi Udoh, 54, died on Wednesday, 14 December, 2016 in the United Kingdom after a protracted illness. Omawumi Udoh, as gathered had battled with cancer related disease for over three years before bowing to death in a London hospital.
10. Veteran Actress, Bukky Ajayi: Veteran Nollywood actress Bukky Ajayi died on July 6, 2016 after an unsuccessful battle with heart-related issues. Her big break into Nollywood was her role in the Village Headmaster in the 70s. In March 2016, the 2016 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCA) awarded her with the 2016 ‘Industry Merit Award’.
- My life is in danger, husband of Igbo woman killed by hausas cries out
- We put our school fees, project money in MMM, varsity counts losses
- Commanding officer of Division 7 pictured hugging and laughing with his soldiers after reports of mutiny
- Breaking: Luxury bus plunges into Lagos river, many feared killed, injured